Beat your skin allergy woes this winter
In the last few months of winter, beat the skin allergies and itchiness with these tips and tricks specially curated for you
Itchy skin can be a symptom of an allergic reaction to products used everyday like nail polish, fragrances, shampoos, latex, laundry detergent, food, or cosmetics. Things containing nickel like cell phones, jewelry, eyeglass frames, zippers, and belt buckles can also cause an allergic reaction. Chickenpox, hives, poison ivy, sunburn, insect bites, medicines, eczema, psoriasis, or seasonal dry skin, and aging can also cause itchy skin, among other things.
Small changes like a new laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, etc can cause itching and allergic spouts. It’s important to find out what’s causing your allergy so you can stop touching (or using) what’s causing the itchy skin, and you may need to consult a dermatologist or an allergist.
To help soothe itchy skin, try the following tips:
– Moisturize your skin with “unscented” cream free of additives, fragrances and perfumes.
– Add a cup of oatmeal to your lukewarm bath water and soak for 10 minutes to soothe itchy skin.
– Topical anesthetics that contain pramoxine can help.
– Menthol or calamine acts like cooling agents. Alternatively, store your moisturizer in the refrigerator to achieve a cooling effect.
– Use “fragrance-free” lotions, soaps and detergents.
– Wear cotton loose-fitting clothes. Wool and other rough-feeling fabrics can irritate your skin, causing itching.
– Avoid extreme temperature changes. Maintain a relatively cool, neutral humidity environment in your house. Use a humidifier during the winter if you are prone to dry skin and eczema.
– Use a hypoallergenic, fragrance free and dye free laundry detergent, Detergents specifically formulated for sensitive skin and dermatologist tested, can help you avoid irritation or worry of itchiness altogether.
– Reduce stress, as stress can make your itch worse.
Seek help from your dermatologist to discover the root cause of your itch if it doesn’t go away with the tips above.
Source : Business Wire